Browser Tools & Widgets
Merriam-Webster Search Box Plug-in
Search Box Plug-in Option for Firefox
Install this search plug-in and use your Firefox search box to look up words in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary or Thesaurus instantly—from anywhere on the Web.
- Merriam-Webster Online search is always available in Firefox
- Just select the "Merriam-Webster Dictionary" option in the Firefox search box and type in a word
- Available for the Merriam-Webster Thesaurus, too
- Installs in seconds!
- Firefox 1.0 - 2.0: Windows ME, 2000, XP or Vista; Mac OSX; Linux
Install the Merriam-Webster toolbar search option for Firefox:
From within Firefox, click here to download the Merriam-Webster Dictionary toolbar search box plug-in
You will see a popup box asking if you would like to install the Merriam-Webster Dictionary search—select "OK"
That's it! To begin searching, click on the small black arrow near the icon in your search box window and select "Merriam-Webster Dictionary" from the drop menu
Type in a word, then press "Enter" and the definition will open in your browser window (you must be online to search).
- The Merriam-Webster Online Thesaurus can be installed in your toolbar the same way—to download the thesaurus plug-in, click here and follow the same procedure. To download the Spanish-English Dictionary plug-in, click here.
Removing the Merriam-Webster plug-in(s) from your Firefox toolbar search:
Go to the directory where Firefox search box plug-ins are installed. In Windows, this may be one of the following depending on your system configuration and/or the version of Firefox:
C:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\searchplugins\
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\searchplugins\
- Delete the file mw-dictionary.src (or mw-thesaurus.src or mw-spanish.src)
- Close and restart Firefox.