Browser Tools & Widgets
Merriam-Webster Right-click Search
Browser Extension for Firefox
Look up words in the Merriam-Webster Dictionary or Thesaurus instantly—from anywhere on the web. See instructions below!
- Merriam-Webster Online right-click search (Mac Control+click) is always available in Firefox
- Just highlight any word, right-click and select "Merriam-Webster Dictionary search for..." from the menu
- Results display in a new window so you won't lose your page
- Accessible from your right-click menu
- Available for the Merriam-Webster Thesaurus, too
- Easy to install as a Firefox extension
- Firefox 1.5-2.0: Windows ME, 2000, XP or Vista; Mac OS X; Linux
Install the Merriam-Webster context menu search for Firefox:
Note: Firefox blocks software installation by default. You will need to approve the download site to proceed—here are instructions for authorizing this software installation.
From within Firefox, click on the appropriate install link below and then click on the "Install Now" button in the dialog box. You may have to select Firefox as the application to use to open the extension file with when prompted. (Note: Even though this extension is unsigned, Merriam-Webster has determined that it is safe to install and use.)
Click the "Install" button. The Firefox "Extensions" box will open, showing a "Dictionary Search" with a green icon. Close this box, and all other Firefox browser windows, then restart Firefox to complete installation.
Select "Tools" -> "Extensions" from the menu bar. This extension will appear as "DictionarySearch" in the listing—select it and click on the "Options" button:
A new dialogue box will open. Under Dictionary 1, copy and paste the following text into the "URL" box (be certain to include the '$' at the end of the URL):
You may also add Merriam-Webster Thesaurus lookups by pasting this text in the URL box under Dictionary 2:
- Click the "OK" button in the dialogue box, then close the "Extensions" box.
That's it—Merriam-Webster right-click searching (Mac Control+click) is now ready to use from any Web page in Firefox!
Removing the DictionarySearch extension from Firefox:
- From the Firefox menu bar, select "Tools" -> "Extensions"
- Highlight "DictionarySearch" in the "Extensions" popup box.
- Click on the "Uninstall" button.
- Close all Firefox windows, and restart Firefox.
Get more DictionarySearch information from the author's Mozilla page.