: the horizontal measurement taken at right angles to the length : breadth
: largeness of extent or scope
: a measured and cut piece of material <a width of calico>
Examples of WIDTH
- What is the width of the table?
- She carefully measured the length and width of the room.
- The deck runs the full width of the house.
- The carpet is available in several widths.
- We swam ten widths in the pool.
- I bought two widths of fabric.
Origin of WIDTH
First Known Use: 1627
Related to WIDTH
- ambit, amplitude, breadth, compass, confines, dimension(s), extent, reach, realm, scope, sweep, range
Other Weights and Measures Terms
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up width? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).