: having or being of no use:
a : ineffectual <a useless attempt>
b : not able to give service or aid : inept
— use·less·ly adverb
— use·less·ness noun
Examples of USELESS
- The tent is useless in wet conditions.
- I made a useless attempt at fixing the leak.
- Drugs are useless in treating the condition.
First Known Use of USELESS
Related to USELESS
- impracticable, inoperable, nonpractical, unserviceable, unusable, unworkable, impractical
- applicable, feasible, functional, operable, operational, practicable, practical, serviceable, ultrapractical, usable (also useable), useful, utilizable, workable
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up useless? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).