: not pleasant : not amiable or agreeable : displeasing <unpleasant odors>
— un·pleas·ant·ly adverb
Examples of UNPLEASANT
- I stopped taking the drug because of its unpleasant side effects.
- There was an unpleasant smell coming from the basement.
- The weather is so unpleasant here.
- I like the shop, but the staff are so unpleasant.
First Known Use of UNPLEASANT
Related to UNPLEASANT
- bad, bitter, disagreeable, displeasing, distasteful, harsh, icky, nasty, rotten, sour, uncongenial, unlovely, unpalatable, unpleasing, unsavory, unwelcome, wicked, yucky (also yukky)
- agreeable, congenial, good, grateful, gratifying, nice, palatable, pleasant, pleasing, pleasurable, satisfying, welcome
Learn More About UNPLEASANT
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up unpleasant? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).