un·lock verb \-ˈläk\
: to open the lock on (something)
: to find out about (something that was secret or unknown)
: to make (something) available for use
: to unfasten the lock of
: to free from restraints or restrictions <the shock unlocked a flood of tears>
: to become unfastened or freed from restraints
Examples of UNLOCK
- Could you unlock the door for me?
- geneticists unlocking the secrets of DNA
- The material's potential was unlocked only through extensive testing.
- How can I unlock my computer if I've forgotten the password?
- This class will unlock your creativity.
First Known Use of UNLOCK
Related to UNLOCK
- loose, loosen, uncork, unleash, release, unloose, unloosen
- bridle, check, constrain, contain, control, curb, govern, hold, inhibit, regulate, rein (in), restrain, smother, tame
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up unlock? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).