un·com·fort·able adjective \ˌən-ˈkəm(p)(f)-tə(r)-bəl, -ˈkəm(p)-fə(r)-tə-bəl, -ˈkəm-fə(r)-bəl\
: causing a feeling of physical discomfort
: feeling physical discomfort
: causing a feeling of being embarrassed or uneasy
: causing discomfort or annoyance <an uncomfortable chair> <an uncomfortable performance>
Examples of UNCOMFORTABLE
- You look uncomfortable in that chair. Would you like to sit here instead?
- The silence went on so long that it became very uncomfortable.
- We were in the uncomfortable position of asking for money.
- I was uncomfortable about talking to them.
- She's uncomfortable being in the spotlight.
First Known Use of UNCOMFORTABLE
Learn More About UNCOMFORTABLE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up uncomfortable? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).