: constituting or having the nature of a type : symbolic
Examples of TYPICAL
- It was his typical response.
- It was a typical Saturday night for us.
- We wanted him to have the typical college experience of living on campus.
Origin of TYPICAL
Late Latin typicalis,
from Greek typikos,
model — more at type
First Known Use: 1609
Related to TYPICAL
- archetypal (also archetypical), average, characteristic, normal, regular, representative, standard, true
- aberrant, abnormal, anomalous, atypical, deviant, irregular, nonrepresentative, nontypical, untypical
typ·i·cal adjective \ˈtip-i-kəl\ (Medical Dictionary)
: conforming to a type <a typical specimen> <typical symptoms of a disease>
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up typical? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).