top·ple verb \ˈtä-pəl\
: to cause (something) to become unsteady and fall
: to remove (a government or a leader) from power
: to win a victory over (someone or something) in a war, contest, etc.
: to fall from or as if from being top-heavy
Examples of TOPPLE
- The strong winds toppled many trees.
- The earthquake toppled the buildings.
- The tree toppled into the river.
- The rebels tried to topple the dictator.
- The phone company has toppled its local competition.
Origin of TOPPLE
frequentative of 2top
First Known Use: 1590
Next Word in the Dictionary: toppoPrevious Word in the Dictionary: top plateAll Words Near: topple
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up topple? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).