: expressing or indicative of suspicion <a suspicious glance>
— sus·pi·cious·ly adverb
— sus·pi·cious·ness noun
Examples of SUSPICIOUS
- We were instructed to report any suspicious activity in the neighborhood.
- The suspicious vehicle was reported to police.
- Suspicious characters were seen hanging around the bank.
- He found a suspicious lump on his back and was afraid it might be cancer.
- Officials are suspicious about her death.
- His manner made me suspicious.
First Known Use of SUSPICIOUS
Related to SUSPICIOUS
- debatable, disputable, dodgy [chiefly British], doubtable, dubious, dubitable, equivocal, fishy, problematic (also problematical), queer, questionable, shady, shaky, suspect, doubtful
- certain, hands-down, incontestable, indisputable, indubitable, questionless, sure, undeniable, undoubted, unproblematic, unquestionable
Rhymes with SUSPICIOUS
Learn More About SUSPICIOUS
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up suspicious? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).