: resembling or suggesting steel (as in hardness, color, strength, or coldness) <steely determination> <steely blue>
: made of steel
— steel·i·ness noun
Examples of STEELY
- a thief with steely nerves
- He had a steely determination to succeed.
- She gave him a steely gaze.
- a sky filled with steely gray clouds
- the judge's steely blue eyes
First Known Use of STEELY
Related to STEELY
- austere, dour, fierce, flinty, forbidding, gruff, intimidating, lowering (also louring), rough, rugged, severe, stark, grim, stern, ungentle
- benign, benignant, gentle, mild, nonintimidating, tender
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up steely? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).