state·ment noun \ˈstāt-mənt\
: something that you say or write in a formal or official way : something that is stated
: an opinion, attitude, etc., that you express through the things you do, the way you dress, etc.
: a document which shows amounts of money that you have received, spent, etc. : a brief record of a financial account
: something stated: as
a : a single declaration or remark : assertion
b : a report of facts or opinions
: the act or process of stating or presenting orally or on paper
: the presentation of a theme in a musical composition
: a summary of activity in a financial account over a particular period of time
: an opinion, comment, or message conveyed indirectly usually by nonverbal means <monuments are statements in form and space — O. B. Hardison, Jr.>
: an instruction in a computer program
Examples of STATEMENT
- His office issued an official statement concerning his departure.
- This is his first public statement about the investigation.
- I disagree with your earlier statement about my record on this issue.
- The advertisement included misleading statements about the product.
- The police took the witness's statement.
- We have a signed statement from a witness.
- The boycott was intended as a political statement.
- We'll need to review your recent financial statements.
First Known Use of STATEMENT
Learn More About STATEMENT
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up statement? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).