: formal or ceremonious observance of an occasion or event
: a solemn condition or quality <the solemnity of his words>
Examples of SOLEMNITY
- the solemnity of the occasion
- Her voice conveyed the solemnity of the passage.
- The visiting statesman was welcomed with appropriate solemnity.
- Elaborate solemnities marked the 100th anniversary of the event.
First Known Use of SOLEMNITY
Related to SOLEMNITY
- earnest, graveness, gravity, intentness, serious-mindedness, seriousness, soberness, sobriety, earnestness, solemnness, staidness
- facetiousness, flightiness, flippancy, frivolity, frivolousness, levity, lightheartedness, lightness, play, unseriousness
Learn More About SOLEMNITY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up solemnity? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).