Island, Yemen, in the Indian Ocean. Located about 210 mi (340 km) southeast of the Arabian Peninsula, it has an area of about 1,400 sq mi (3,600 sq km). Its interior is mountainous, with flora that includes myrrh, frankincense, and the dragon's blood tree. The island, mentioned in various legends, was long ruled by the Mahra sultans of southeastern Yemen, except for a brief Portuguese occupation (1507–11). In 1886 it came under British control and in 1967 became part of independent Yemen. Its chief town is Hadiboh.