: offensive to propriety or morality : shocking <scandalous behavior>
— scan·dal·ous·ly adverb
— scan·dal·ous·ness noun
Examples of SCANDALOUS
- Sex was a scandalous subject back then.
- The magazine published scandalous pictures of the movie star.
- The high price of gas these days is scandalous.
- She was spreading scandalous rumors about him.
First Known Use of SCANDALOUS
Related to SCANDALOUS
- abhorrent, abominable, appalling, awful, disgusting, distasteful, dreadful, evil, foul, fulsome, gross, hideous, horrendous, horrible, horrid, loathsome, nasty, nauseating, nauseous, noisome, noxious, obnoxious, obscene, odious, rancid, repellent (also repellant), repugnant, repulsive, revolting, offensive, shocking, sickening, ugly
- innocuous, inoffensive
Learn More About SCANDALOUS
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up scandalous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).