Examples of SARDONIC
- The movie is a sardonic look at modern life.
- <a sardonic little jab that made her visitor quiet and subdued for the rest of the night>
- “The Great War,” used interchangeably with “the First World War” (so named in 1918 by a sardonic English journalist, who knew it would not be the last such conflict) … —Benjamin Schwarz, Atlantic, May 1999
- They have that brand of sardonic humor special to people up against it: black and wry and shocking … —Doris Lessing, New Yorker, 16 Mar. 1987
- In a story by Flaubert, this spreading of cloths to save the carpet would be observed with a sardonic eye; in Lawrence it is bleakly practical. —Hugh Kenner, A Sinking Island, 1987
Origin of SARDONIC
from Greek sardonios
First Known Use: 1638
Related to SARDONIC
- acerb, acerbic, acid, acidic, acidulous, acrid, barbed, biting, caustic, corrosive, cutting, mordant, pungent, sarcastic, satiric (or satirical), scalding, scathing, sharp, smart-aleck, smart-alecky, smart-mouthed, snarky, tart
Rhymes with SARDONIC
Learn More About SARDONIC
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up sardonic? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).