Town (pop., 2004 est.: 4,300), capital of Grenada, in the West Indies. It lies on the island's southwestern coast, on a small peninsula. It was founded by the French in 1650 and became the capital of the Windward Islands (1885–1958). Now a port, it exports cacao, nutmeg, mace, and bananas. It was the scene of fighting in 1983 during the military intervention in Grenada by U.S. and Caribbean forces.