rough·ly adverb \ˈrə-flē\
: not exactly but close in number, quality, meaning, etc.
: in a way that is not gentle or careful
: in a very simple or basic way
: in a rough manner: as
a : with harshness or violence <treated the prisoner roughly>
b : in crude fashion : imperfectly <roughly dressed lumber>
: without completeness or exactness : approximately <roughly 20 percent>
Examples of ROUGHLY
- Roughly translated, it means “hurry up!”.
- The new product is modeled roughly on an earlier design.
- He threw the package roughly in the truck.
- The guard told us roughly that we had to stand back.
First Known Use of ROUGHLY
Related to ROUGHLY
- about, around, like, more or less, much, near, plus or minus, approximately, say, some
- exactly, precisely
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up roughly? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).