public service noun
: the business of supplying something (such as electricity, gas, or transportation) to the members of a community
: something that is done to help people rather than to make a profit
: work that someone does as part of a government : the work done by public servants
: the business of supplying a commodity (as electricity or gas) or service (as transportation) to any or all members of a community
: a service rendered in the public interest
Examples of PUBLIC SERVICE
- The cost of public services is on the rise.
- The station is running antismoking commercials as a public service.
- The company is heavily involved in public service.
- He works in public service.
- She has devoted her life to public service.
First Known Use of PUBLIC SERVICE
Rhymes with PUBLIC SERVICE
Learn More About PUBLIC SERVICE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up public service? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).