pro·duc·tion noun \prə-ˈdək-shən, prō-\
: the process of making or growing something for sale or use
: the process of making something naturally
: the process of making a play, movie, television show, record, etc.
a : something produced : product
b (1) : a literary or artistic work (2) : a work presented to the public (as on the stage or screen or over the air)
c : something exaggerated out of proportion to its importance
a : the act or process of producing
b : the creation of utility; especially : the making of goods available for use
: total output especially of a commodity or an industry
often attributive : something not specially designed or customized and usually mass-produced <a production car> <production housing>
— pro·duc·tion·al \-shnəl, -shə-nəl\ adjective
Examples of PRODUCTION
- the production of grain weapons
- the body's production of red blood cells
- I took a course in film production.
- He has a job in television production.
- We saw a stage production of the novel.
- The director wants her in his next production.
- the annual production of coal
- a rise in oil production
First Known Use of PRODUCTION
Rhymes with PRODUCTION
Learn More About PRODUCTION
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up production? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).