: having special rights or advantages that most people do not have
law : known only by the people who need to know
: having or enjoying one or more privileges <privileged classes>
: not subject to the usual rules or penalties because of some special circumstance; especially : not subject to disclosure in a court of law <a privileged communication>
defined for English-language learners
Examples of PRIVILEGED
- He comes from a very privileged background.
- The town attracts people who are wealthy and privileged.
- The President's adviser has a privileged position of trust.
- She had privileged access to the files.
- Only the privileged few can become members of the club.
First Known Use of PRIVILEGED
adjective priv·i·leged \ˈpri-və-lijd\
: having more things and a better chance in life than most people <He comes from a privileged family.>
Learn More About PRIVILEGED