pow·er·ful adjective \ˈpau̇(-ə)r-fəl\
: having the ability to control or influence people or things
: having a strong effect on someone or something
: having or producing a lot of physical strength or force
: having great power, prestige, or influence <a powerful leader>
: leading to many or important deductions <a powerful set of postulates>
— pow·er·ful·ly \-f(ə-)lē\ adverb
Examples of POWERFUL
- The country is becoming more and more powerful.
- powerful drugs that attack cancer cells
- The cash bonus provides a powerful incentive to workers.
- The perfume has a powerful smell.
- It's a very powerful movie.
- The dog has a powerful body.
- She has a powerful voice.
- The weapons are very powerful.
- The aardvark uses its powerful claws to dig for food.
First Known Use of POWERFUL
Related to POWERFUL
- heavy, heavy-duty, influential, mighty, potent, important, puissant, significant, strong
- helpless, impotent, insignificant, little, powerless, unimportant, weak
Learn More About POWERFUL
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up powerful? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).