: not moving but ready to move
: ready or prepared for something
: in a state, place, or situation that is between two different or opposite things
: having poise:
a : marked by balance or equilibrium
b : marked by easy composure of manner or bearing
Examples of POISED
- The actors were poised on the stage, ready for the curtain to come up.
- She held the pencil poised over the paper.
- The company is poised for success.
- She seemed poised to take on the leadership of the country.
- He is now poised to become the next big star in country music.
- a city poised between the mountains and the sea
- a group of people poised between hope and fear
First Known Use of POISED
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up poised? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).