over·pow·er verb \ˌō-vər-ˈpau̇(-ə)r\
: to defeat or gain control of (someone or something) by using force
: to affect (someone) very strongly or severely
: to have more strength, force, or effect than (someone or something)
: to affect with overwhelming intensity <the stench overpowered us>
: to provide with more power than is needed or desirable <a dangerously overpowered car>
— over·pow·er·ing·ly \-ˈpau̇(-ə)r-iŋ-lē\ adverb
Examples of OVERPOWER
- She was able to overpower her attacker.
- The police overpowered the man and handcuffed him.
- The troops were overpowered by the stronger enemy forces.
- His personality overpowers everyone else's.
- The delicate taste of the wine was overpowered by the spiciness of the food.
First Known Use of OVERPOWER
Rhymes with OVERPOWER
, cooling tower
, credit hour
, flower power
, golden shower
, happy hour
, ivory tower
, motive power
, police power
, quarter hour
, staying power
, trumpet flower
, virgin's bower
, water tower
, zero hour
Learn More About OVERPOWER
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up overpower? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).