: a good chance for advancement or progress
Examples of OPPORTUNITY
- You'll have an opportunity to ask questions after the presentation.
- When the opportunity came for her to prove that she could do the job, she was ready.
- I had the rare opportunity of speaking to the president.
- Studying abroad provides a great opportunity to learn a foreign language.
- There are fewer job opportunities this year for graduates.
- I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped me with this book.
- He was given every opportunity to prove that he was trustworthy.
- There is plenty of opportunity for advancement within the company.
- A phony war because its stated objective—eradicating terrorism—is impossible and serves to mask unstated, alarmingly open-ended goals, a kind of fishing expedition that provides an opportunity for America to display its intimidating arsenal … —John Edgar Wideman, Harper's, March 2002
- Nowadays my only opportunity for an old-fashioned, self-indulgent sulk comes when I'm traveling. —Ian Frazier, Atlantic, March 2001
- I'm handing you an opportunity in the heart of the city where the whole world's heading: journalists, corporate leeches, Japanese tourists, Greco-Roman wrestlers. —Gary Smith, Illustrated, 11 Sept. 2000
- More than 90 percent of female senior managers believe that men's and women's opportunities remain unequal … —Katha Pollitt, Atlantic, November 1997
Origin of OPPORTUNITY
First Known Use: 14th century
Learn More About OPPORTUNITY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up opportunity? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).