a : of or relating to a particular occasion <a budget able to meet occasional demands as well as regular ones>
b : created for a particular occasion <occasional verse>
: acting as the occasion or contributing cause of something
: encountered, occurring, appearing, or taken at irregular or infrequent intervals <occasional visitors> <an occasional vacation>
: acting in a specified capacity from time to time <an occasional lecturer>
: designed or constructed to be used as the occasion demands <occasional furniture>
Examples of OCCASIONAL
- She receives occasional phone calls from her mother.
- There will be occasional showers during the morning.
- Most mornings, we'll see deer or the occasional bear walking past our house.
- He tells an occasional joke to keep his students interested.
- I need to take occasional breaks from work.
- Sure, I drink an occasional glass of wine from time to time.
- She's an occasional lecturer at the university.
First Known Use of OCCASIONAL
Related to OCCASIONAL
- aperiodic, casual, catchy, choppy, discontinuous, episodic (also episodical), erratic, intermittent, irregular, fitful, spasmodic, spastic, sporadic, spotty, unsteady
- constant, continuous, habitual, periodic, regular, repeated, steady
Learn More About OCCASIONAL
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up occasional? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).