ob·struc·tion noun \əb-ˈstrək-shən, äb-\
: something that blocks something else and makes it difficult for things to move through
: the condition of being blocked so that things cannot move through easily
: the act of making it difficult for something to happen or move forward
a : the state of being obstructed; especially : a condition of being clogged or blocked
b : an act of obstructing
Examples of OBSTRUCTION
- They are removing trees and other obstructions from the path.
- cases of intestinal obstruction in children
- She died from an obstruction of the airway.
- He is on trial for the obstruction of a criminal investigation.
First Known Use of OBSTRUCTION
Related to OBSTRUCTION
- balk, bar, block, chain, clog, cramp, crimp, deterrent, drag, embarrassment, fetter, handicap, hindrance, holdback, hurdle, impediment, inhibition, interference, let, manacle, obstacle, encumbrance, shackles, stop, stumbling block, trammel
Rhymes with OBSTRUCTION
ob·struc·tion noun \əb-ˈstrək-shən, äb-\ (Medical Dictionary)
a : an act of obstructing b : a condition of being clogged or blocked <intestinal obstruction>
: something that obstructs <dislodge an airway obstruction>
Learn More About OBSTRUCTION
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up obstruction? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).