ner·vous adjective \ˈnər-vəs\
: having or showing feelings of being worried and afraid about what might happen
: often or easily becoming worried and afraid about what might happen
: causing someone to feel worried and afraid : making someone nervous
: marked by strength of thought, feeling, or style : spirited <a vibrant tight-packed nervous style of writing>
: of, relating to, or composed of neurons
a : of or relating to the nerves; also : originating in or affected by the nerves <nervous energy>
b : easily excited or irritated : jumpy
c : timid, apprehensive <a nervous smile> <nervous of strangers>
a : tending to produce nervousness or agitation : uneasy <a nervous situation>
b : appearing or acting unsteady, erratic, or irregular —used of inanimate things
— ner·vous·ly adverb
— ner·vous·ness noun
Examples of NERVOUS
- She is nervous about her job interview.
- All this waiting is making me nervous.
- He gave a nervous glance at the clock.
- His nervous mother is always worrying that something terrible will happen to him.
- He has a nervous disposition.
- It was a very nervous situation.
- She suffers from a nervous disorder.
- He walked around with a nervous twitch.
- He had a nervous habit of pulling at his hair.
- The boy has a lot of nervous energy.
First Known Use of NERVOUS
Related to NERVOUS
- aflutter, antsy, anxious, atwitter, dithery, edgy, goosey, het up, hinky [slang], hung up, ill at ease, insecure, jittery, jumpy, nervy, perturbed, queasy (also queazy), tense, troubled, uneasy, unquiet, upset, uptight, worried, keyed up, on edge, on pins and needles, on tenterhooks
- calm, collected, cool, easy, happy-go-lucky, nerveless, relaxed
ner·vous adjective \ˈnər-vəs\ (Medical Dictionary)
: of, relating to, or composed of neurons <the nervous layer of the eye>
a : of or relating to the nerves; also : originating in or affected by the nerves <nervous energy> b : easily excited or irritated
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up nervous? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).