a : of, relating to, or constituting mystery <the mysterious ways of God>
b : exciting wonder, curiosity, or surprise while baffling efforts to comprehend or identify : mystifying <heard a mysterious noise> <a mysterious stranger>
: stirred by or attracted to the inexplicable
— mys·te·ri·ous·ly adverb
— mys·te·ri·ous·ness noun
Examples of MYSTERIOUS
- the mysterious ways of nature
- We heard a mysterious noise outside our tent.
- He died under mysterious circumstances.
- A mysterious illness has been spreading through the city.
- There's something mysterious about that old woman.
- Her behavior was very mysterious.
First Known Use of MYSTERIOUS
Related to MYSTERIOUS
- arcane, cryptic, deep, enigmatic (also enigmatical), impenetrable, inscrutable, mystic, occult, uncanny
- accessible, clear, nonambiguous, obvious, plain, unambiguous, unequivocal
Learn More About MYSTERIOUS
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up mysterious? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).