City (pop., 2001: 755,379), southern Karnataka state, southern India. Situated midway between the Kaveri (Cauvery) and Kabbani rivers, the site was inhabited before the 3rd century BC. The city was the capital of the princely state of Mysore (1799–1831), then it was occupied by the British. The state's second largest city, it is an important industrial centre producing textiles, chemicals, and foodstuffs. Sites of interest include the 17th-century British residency, the maharaja's palace, and the University of Mysore (founded 1916). Nearby Chamundi Hill has a monolith representing Nandi, the sacred bull of the Hindu deity Shiva.