: soft in color : not bright
: soft or quiet in sound : quieter than usual
: not done or expressed in a strong, forceful, or excited way
: provided with or produced or modified by the use of a mute
— mut·ed·ly adverb
Examples of MUTED
- The artist chose colors that are dark and muted.
- the muted sound of a distant trumpet
- The government chose a more muted response to the threat.
- Their proposal has drawn a muted reaction from most observers.
First Known Use of MUTED
Related to MUTED
- hushed, silent, noiseless, quiet, quieted, soundless, still, stilly
- noisy, rackety, unquiet, uproarious
Other Music Terms
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up muted? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).