mourn·ing noun \ˈmȯr-niŋ\
: the act of mourning for someone who has died
: great sadness felt because someone has died
: black clothing that is worn to show that you are mourning for someone who has died
a : an outward sign (as black clothes or an armband) of grief for a person's death
b : a period of time during which signs of grief are shown
Examples of MOURNING
- a day of national mourning
- She is still in mourning for her dead husband.
- The whole town was in mourning.
- a period of deep mourning
- His widow was dressed in mourning.
First Known Use of MOURNING
Learn More About MOURNING
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up mourning? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).