: freedom from conceit or vanity
: propriety in dress, speech, or conduct
Examples of MODESTY
- She accepted the award with modesty.
- He is known for his modesty, an uncommon characteristic for a politician.
- There was no false modesty in her victory speech.
- the modesty of her clothing
First Known Use of MODESTY
Related to MODESTY
- demureness, down-to-earthness, humbleness, lowliness, meekness, humility
- arrogance, assumption, bumptiousness, conceit, egoism, egotism, haughtiness, hauteur, huffiness, imperiousness, loftiness, lordliness, peremptoriness, pomposity, pompousness, presumptuousness, pretense (or pretence), pretension, pretentiousness, pride, pridefulness, superciliousness, superiority, toploftiness
Next Word in the Dictionary: modicumPrevious Word in the Dictionary: modestAll Words Near: modesty
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up modesty? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).