lit·er·ary adjective \ˈli-tə-ˌrer-ē\
: of or relating to literature
: used in literature
: having a lot of knowledge about literature : known for reading or writing books
a : of, relating to, or having the characteristics of humane learning or literature
b : bookish 2
c : of or relating to books
Examples of LITERARY
- Do his books have any literary merit?
- Mystery fiction is only one of many literary forms.
- an essay written in a very literary style
- The author uses many literary devices in his work.
- He entered the literary world right out of college.
- She hired a literary agent.
First Known Use of LITERARY
Learn More About LITERARY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up literary? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).