a : confined within limits : restricted <limited success>
b of a train : offering faster service especially by making a limited number of stops
: characterized by enforceable limitations prescribed (as by a constitution) upon the scope or exercise of powers <a limited monarchy>
: lacking breadth and originality <a bit limited; a bit thick in the head — Virginia Woolf>
— lim·it·ed·ly adverb
— lim·it·ed·ness noun
Examples of LIMITED
- Only a limited number of students will be allowed in the class.
- People with limited incomes are hit particularly hard by inflation.
- The company has had limited success.
First Known Use of LIMITED
Related to LIMITED
- bounded, circumscribed, defined, definite, determinate, finite, measured, narrow, restricted
- boundless, dimensionless, endless, illimitable, immeasurable, indefinite, infinite, limitless, measureless, unbounded, undefined, unlimited, unmeasured
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up limited? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).