: providing direction or guidance <a leading question>
: given most prominent display <the leading story>
Examples of LEADING
- a leading topic of conversation
- Their family played a leading part in the settlement of the town.
- the leading role in a major Hollywood movie
- a leading citizen of the town
- She's one of the leading authorities on the stock market.
First Known Use of LEADING
Related to LEADING
- arch, big, capital, cardinal, central, chief, dominant, first, grand, great, greatest, highest, key, foremost, main, master, number one (also No. 1), numero uno, overbearing, overmastering, overriding, paramount, predominant, preeminent, premier, primal, primary, principal, prior, sovereign (also sovran), supreme
- last, least
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up leading? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).