: at a time in the future : at a time following an earlier time
: at some time subsequent to a given time : subsequently, afterward <one week later> <they later regretted the decision> —often used with on <experience that will be useful later on>
Examples of LATER
- I'll talk to you again later.
- They later regretted the decision.
- She returned several weeks later.
- I saw him again later that morning.
First Known Use of LATER
Related to LATER
- afterward (or afterwards), after, latterly, subsequently, thereafter
- afore [chiefly dialect], ahead, antecedently, anteriorly, before, beforehand, earlier, previously
Rhymes with LATER
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up later? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).