City (pop., 2001: 563,943), eastern Argentina. After Buenos Aires became the national capital, La Plata was chosen (1882) as the new seat of Buenos Aires province and was modeled on the U.S. capital of Washington, D.C. It was renamed for Argentine first lady Eva Perón in 1952, but after the overthrow of Pres. Juan Peron in 1955 it resumed its original name. Located near the Río de la Plata estuary, it is a seaport with a large artificial harbour. Its industries include meatpacking and oil refining.