City (pop., 2000: 1,187,275), northern Chihuahua state, Mexico. Located on the Rio Grande opposite El Paso, Texas, it was formerly known as El Paso del Norte and was renamed in 1888 for Mexico's national hero, Benito Juárez, who headquartered there in 1865. Today it is an important border city and functions as the marketing centre for a cotton-growing area. The city has grown greatly since the 1970s because of the increase in the number of export-oriented assembly plants (maquiladoras) located there. It contains the Guadalupe mission (1662).