Inlet of the Tasman Sea, southeastern New South Wales, Australia. It is about 10 mi (16 km) long and 6 mi (10 km) wide. It was discovered in 1770 and named Long Nose by Capt. James Cook, but in 1791 it was renamed for Adm. John Jervis. In 1915 it was transferred from the jurisdiction of New South Wales to the Australian Commonwealth to provide the Australian Capital Territory with access to the sea. The bay is a resort area and the site of the Royal Australian Naval College (founded 1915).