in·for·mal adjective \(ˌ)in-ˈfȯr-məl\
: having a friendly and relaxed quality
: suited for ordinary use when you are relaxing
of language : relaxed in tone : not suited for serious or official speech and writing
: marked by the absence of formality or ceremony <an informal meeting>
Examples of INFORMAL
- We had an informal meeting over lunch.
- He has an informal manner that puts people at ease.
- He spoke to them in informal Spanish.
- The term is common in informal contexts.
- He took an informal poll among his coworkers.
First Known Use of INFORMAL
Related to INFORMAL
- heterodox, irregular, unceremonious, unconventional, unorthodox
- ceremonial, ceremonious, conventional, formal, orthodox, regular, routine
Learn More About INFORMAL
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up informal? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).