a : an act that offends against a person's dignity or self-respect : insult
b : humiliating treatment
obsolete : lack or loss of dignity or honor
Examples of INDIGNITY
- He remembers all the indignities he had to suffer in the early years of his career.
- We must endure the indignities of growing old.
- He suffered the indignity of being forced to leave the courtroom.
- The indignity of it all was too much to bear.
Origin of INDIGNITY
Latin indignitat-, indignitas,
First Known Use: 1581
Related to INDIGNITY
- affront, barb, brickbat, cut, dart, dig, dis (also diss) [slang], epithet, gird, insult, name, offense (or offence), outrage, personality, poke, put-down, sarcasm, slap, slight, slur
Learn More About INDIGNITY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up indignity? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).