: not definite: as
a : typically designating an unidentified, generic, or unfamiliar person or thing <the indefinite articles a and an> <indefinite pronouns>
b : not precise : vague
c : having no exact limits
— indefinite noun
— in·def·i·nite·ly adverb
— in·def·i·nite·ness noun
Examples of INDEFINITE
- We're stuck here for an indefinite period of time.
- Their plans have been put on indefinite hold.
- She is indefinite about her plans.
Origin of INDEFINITE
First Known Use: 1530
Related to INDEFINITE
- bottomless, boundless, endless, fathomless, horizonless, illimitable, immeasurable, immensurable, infinite, limitless, measureless, unbounded, unfathomable, unlimited
- bounded, circumscribed, confined, definite, finite, limited, restricted
Learn More About INDEFINITE
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up indefinite? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).