iden·ti·fy verb \ī-ˈden-tə-ˌfī, ə-\
a : to cause to be or become identical
b : to conceive as united (as in spirit, outlook, or principle) <groups that are identified with conservation>
a : to establish the identity of
b : to determine the taxonomic position of (a biological specimen)
: to be or become the same
Examples of IDENTIFY
- She identified the dog as her lost pet.
- He was able to correctly identify the mushroom.
- The witness positively identified the suspect in the crime.
- The corpse was identified on the basis of dental records.
- They could not identify the source of the quotation.
- They had no difficulty in identifying the problem.
- We began by identifying what we needed for the job.
- We need to identify the causes of unemployment.
First Known Use of IDENTIFY
iden·ti·fy verb \ī-ˈdent-ə-ˌfī, ə-\ (Medical Dictionary)
: to determine the taxonomic position of (a biological specimen)
: to undergo or experience psychological identification <identify with the hero of a novel>
Learn More About IDENTIFY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up identify? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).