hope·less adjective \ˈhō-pləs\
: having or feeling no hope
: unable to be changed
: unable to be helped or improved : very bad
a : having no expectation of good or success : despairing
b : not susceptible to remedy or cure
c : incapable of redemption or improvement
a : giving no ground for hope : desperate
b : incapable of solution, management, or accomplishment : impossible
— hope·less·ness noun
Examples of HOPELESS
- He felt confused and hopeless after losing his job.
- We were the most hopeless group of golfers you ever saw.
- He's very ill, but his condition isn't hopeless.
First Known Use of HOPELESS
Related to HOPELESS
- incorrigible, incurable, irrecoverable, irredeemable, irreformable, irremediable, irretrievable, unrecoverable, unredeemable
- curable, reclaimable, recoverable, redeemable, reformable, remediable, retrievable, savable (or saveable)
Learn More About HOPELESS
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up hopeless? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).