City (pop., 2001: 827,026), Madhya Pradesh state, north-central India. The city, now an important commercial and industrial centre, is built around a walled fortress situated on a cliff 300 ft (90 m) above the plain. First known from c. AD 525, it was under Hindu rule until 1232 and then changed hands several times between Muslims and Hindus until 1751; thereafter it remained a Maratha stronghold, though it was taken by the British several times. The fortress contains outstanding examples of Hindu architecture, including reservoirs, palaces, temples, and a mosque. Just below the fort's walls are 15th-century rock-cut Jain statues that are nearly 60 ft (18 m) high.