guilty adjective \ˈgil-tē\
: responsible for committing a crime or doing something bad or wrong
: showing that you know you have done something bad or wrong
: feeling bad because you have done something bad or wrong or because you believe you have done something bad or wrong
: justly chargeable with or responsible for a usually grave breach of conduct or a crime
obsolete : justly liable to or deserving of a penalty
Examples of GUILTY
- Do you think he's innocent or guilty?
- Will the defendant plead guilty or not guilty?
- The children exchanged guilty looks.
- He was acting like someone with a guilty conscience.
- There's no need to feel guilty about it.
First Known Use of GUILTY
before 12th century
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up guilty? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).