gen·er·al·ly adverb \ˈjen-rə-lē, ˈje-nə-, ˈje-nər-lē\
: in a general way : in a way that is not detailed or specific
: in most cases
: by or to most people
: in a general manner: as
a : in disregard of specific instances and with regard to an overall picture <generally speaking>
b : as a rule : usually
Examples of GENERALLY
- He talked generally about his plans.
- I had a generally good day.
- It generally takes about a month for the shipment to arrive.
- When stocks are up, bonds are generally down.
- This town is generally regarded as a good place to raise kids.
First Known Use of GENERALLY
Related to GENERALLY
- commonly, naturally, natch [slang], normally, ordinarily, typically, usually
- abnormally, atypically, extraordinarily, uncommonly, untypically, unusually
Learn More About GENERALLY
Seen & Heard
What made you want to look up generally? Please tell us where you read or heard it (including the quote, if possible).