City (pop., 2006: 50,535), capital of New Brunswick, Canada. Located on the St. John River and originally the site of a French fort (1692), Fredericton was laid out as the provincial capital in 1785. Across the river, the village of St. Anne's Point had been settled by the French in 1731. After 1825 Fredericton became a British garrison town, and its reconstructed military compound is a federal historic site. Now primarily an administrative and educational centre, it is the seat of the University of New Brunswick and St. Thomas University. It is the shopping and distribution centre for central New Brunswick.