Northern section, Queens, New York, New York, U.S. Located at the head of Flushing Bay in the East River, it was settled in 1645 by English nonconformists and became a centre for Quakers (see Society of Friends). In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, it flourished as a township and then a village until it was absorbed by Queens in 1898. Flushing Meadow–Corona Park was the site of the 1939–40 and 1964–65 New York world's fairs (the Hall of Science remains as an exhibition centre), and in 1946–49 it was the temporary headquarters for the UN. Flushing is the scene of the U.S. Open tennis championships and home to Shea Stadium.